Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Driving license



A police car

I have a driving license but it wasn’t accepted in the UAE so I had to take theoretical lessons followed by an exam and of course a road exam which was a freak experience.
To get a new license I need to attend 8 lessons. For my surprise if you don’t have a license at all you have to take the same amount of lessons. Ok once again second rank citizen, but after 10 years you kind of get used to it. The driving school is out of the city in the industrial district so it is a 25 min drive. First day I’ve arrived with enthusiasm I thought it is only ladies class but it was a mixed and there were many Asian man and some young girls.

You can see cars like this.....


And what have I learned during these four days? Let me line it up for you:
- If you had a large midday meal it is better to rest or even nap before driving
- We drive here on the left side but instead of the right hand rule here you have to give priority from the left!
- Do not use the horn if a camel blocks your way.
- Damaging a palm tree costs 10000AED (2000 euro)

this...


After the lessons I participated on my exam, it was a computer test with 45 questions 30 minutes. I don’t know what the passing limit is but it is easy. I’ve finished in 10 min and they gave me my results right away. It took me 2 hours to get the paperwork done so I can go and do my road exam. They scheduled me for three weeks later. I had to go and find the big chief who just wrote something on my paper and I was go to go the next day. We arrived at 7:30 but we left for the exam at 10. So 20 women in a bus two women police officer, they got a car out of the parking took one of us and it is started. The bus followed the car everybody drove like 500 meters and everybody passed.
You know that there is now tax in this country, or you just think so…….


No comments:

Post a Comment